Saturday 29 August 2009

More Government Stupidity

Just  to prove its not just me getting  a raw deal with this government read the article from The Mirror news paper below
Woman refused disability benefits - in case amputated leg "gets better" By Paul Byrne 29/08/2009
A diabetic woman whose badly-infected leg was amputated has been refused disability benefits - in case it "got better".
Former nurse Beryl Prescott, 57, was told to reapply in three months, when it would be decided if she was genuinely disabled.
Beryl said: "Apparently, you have to wait three months after you come out of hospital before you can apply in case you 'get better".
"I'm not a doctor but I am pretty sure that's not going to happen. I don't have a magic grow-bag."
She added: "I am not a fraudster, I'm not trying it on. I am a 100% genuine case. I have a prosthetic leg."
Partially-sighted Beryl had her leg amputated in January. She applied for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) from her hospital bed, but was told it would be a three-month wait before her claim was even processed.
Beryl, from Crossens, near Southport, Merseyside, said: "It sickens me that you do your best and pay your bills all your life and then you get treated with no respect."
The Government insists on a three-month qualifying period before awarding DLA. Claimants must be unable or nearly unable to walk due to a permanent disability, the loss of one or both limbs, or being partially sighted.
A spokesman for the Department of Work and Pensions, which has given Beryl more than £1,700 in back payments, said: "We cannot comment on individual cases."
There are different types of disability as well.  Yes I can walk but slowly and have to compose myself every so often.  But I get tired very easy so would be unfit to work.   I get dizzy when I bend down and could black out.   I have to really know an area to be alone there.   I get confused sometimes.  I dont want sympathy I just want to get on with my life with some dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment