Thursday 19 August 2010

Acceptance

Children seem to be more accepting of disabled people than adults. I go to visit my friends and their daughter Shannon runs up to me and gives me a hug. She doesn’t care about anything I have wrong with me. She just wants me to play with her.

With my condition Neurofibromatosis, it causes me to have tumours all over my body. She asked me why are you so spotty. She’s only 5 years old. I explained to her in simple terms and that was that.

It’s the adult population who change the kid’s minds. Children don’t see the wheelchair they seem to see the person that is in it. If people teach their kids to accept others more then they will grow up understanding everybody is different.

Just because a person looks different on the outside or has different abilities they still have feelings. I remember a quote from somewhere I forget where, “if you cut me do I not bleed”. A disabled person still has feelings. Disabled people are not second class citizens if you got to know them you may find that you have things in common with them.

It’s the same with people of different races and sexuality. In this day and age most countries are multicultural and have people with different sexual preferences. If a child is brought up to accept this as normal then they will grow up to treat all people the same.

I don’t see a person for their colour or sexuality I just see them for the person they are. Why should a person be judged for being different to his neighbour or friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment